Tiger Woods wins his second tournament of the PGA Tour Season, and his first World Golf Championship in several years, and his biggest win since 09. TW finished at 19 under par after a final-round 71 to claim his 76th PGA Tour victory and his 17th World Golf Championship title (which is only 40% of all WGC Events played). He finished two shots clear of Steve Stricker while Graeme McDowell, Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott and Sergio García ended on 14 under.
Tiger finished very much in the same fashion as his win at Torrey Pines…a little shaky. The biggest asset of both Tiger wins is how far he set himself ahead of the field. in the first 54 holes. His four shot lead going into Sunday ended up being only a two shot lead by the end of 72 holes. At one point Tiger was up to a five shot lead, but just like at Torey Pines he seemed to coast in to the club house with a few bogeys and ultimately the win.
The answer to the question is Tiger Woods back?
I don’t know. At times Tiger looks like the Tiger of old pre 08 Tiger who won majors like they were going out of style. 2013 Tiger Woods has two wins, but he didn’t finish in old Tiger like fashion. The old Tiger would have stomped on the necks of the PGA Tour players who were trying to catch him and turn his 4 shot lead into 6 or 7 by the end of 72 holes. Not stumble backwards and let his competitors close in on him. The Tiger of old would have never bogeyed four of the last holes to win a tournament.
While I am a firm believe that the Tiger of old is not back, I do believe that Tiger Woods 2.0 is a force to be reckoned with. While the old Tiger would never have stumbled coming in, Tiger 2.0 understands that a win is a win, and he no longer needs to keep his foot on the accelerator. Tiger 2.0 is fast out of the gate, and he will get the job done. I believe that 2013 is going to be the next Major win for Tiger Woods. I like him at the Masters, and possibly the US Open or maybe both, who knows, but I think the Tiger train is going to make a major stop very soon.
- PGA Tour: Tiger Woods claims 76th victory (standard.co.uk)
- Tiger Woods wins 76th career PGA Tour tournament at Cadillac Championship (newsday.com)
- Tiger Woods wins at Doral (wtvr.com)
- Tiger wins at Doral for 76th PGA Tour victory (espn.go.com)
- Tiger Woods holds on to win at Doral (wgntv.com)
- Tiger takes WGC, picks up second victory of year (cbssports.com)
- Tiger Woods hits his stride in winning at Doral (canada.com)
- Tiger’s Chances at The Masters After Win at Doral (sportinggentlemen.wordpress.com)